Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Needing Your Help and Advice

Okay friends...I am in need of some help from all you creative teachers!  Within the next two weeks I know that my unannounced observation is going to happen.  I know this because there are only two of us left and our principal plans to be done with them before Spring Break. 

We use the enVisions math series and I begin Measurement on Thursday.  I looked on TpT and did not see any cute measurement units (if I over looked one that you have used, please tell me).  Can anyone give me some cute/fun ideas for this unit?  I really appreciate your advice!

THANKS!!


3 comments :

Tara said...

I just finished up measurement last week... but I couldn't find any cute stuff either, but what I always do is more hands on stuff, which my principals loves, but since we measure using different "tools" i have them measure the carpet using tools around the classroom, the favorite one being their feet. Then we graph to see the different sizes and amounts... it is a fun way to show how "feet" came into use! I know it isn't "cute," but my kids did enjoy it! Good luck!

Holly said...

I teach first grade - so I'm probably no help. We still use nonstandard units. We measured different objects around the room using popsicle sticks, then measured the same objects using unifix cubes. Another day we measured a jumprope using my feet {we guessed then measured for everything} then several kids' feet. Yet another way to drive home the concept of the smaller the unit the more you'll need to measure...{which eventually transfers to standard units...cm, inches,etc.}

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Miss S. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog to enter my giveaway!
I follow you too!
Did you try pinterest for measurement ideas?
Miss S
Just Teaching...Kindergarten